Gambling at online casinos is huge in Canada. An industry worth over $13 billion, gambling is something that over 75% of Canadians have reported to have done in the past year.
For the majority of people, gambling at online casinos is a harmless activity that is done purely for fun and to ‘try luck’ in winning some money. However, it does have the potential to become an addiction, with disastrous consequences.
Gambling addiction can affect all aspects of your life, from personal relationships, finances, and even your mental health. This is why it is so important to gamble safely and responsibly, to ensure that you don’t fall into the downward spiral of gambling addiction.
Whilst we love our online casinos and will be the first to recommend them as the number one places to be when online gambling, we do still take addiction and the practice of safe gambling very seriously.
Whether you want to try online casinos for the first time, or are a seasoned online casino lover who is worried they may be taking their gambling too far, here are a few of our top tips to make sure you stay safe and responsible when gambling.
How to gamble safely
- Keep track of how much money you are spending on your online gambling.
- This might sound pretty self-explanatory, but you would be surprised at the amount of players who don’t keep tabs on how much they are spending. This can lead to unconscious spending and, before you know it, you could have spent your rent money without even realising.
- We strongly recommend that, in addition to keeping note of how much money you are spending, you budget how much money you will allow yourself to spend before you begin online gambling.
- This will ensure that you always know how much money is being spent, and that you have a budget to work towards to make sure you don’t cross the line.
- Bet only what you can afford to lose.
- Again, pretty self-explanatory but many people don’t weigh up how much money they can realistically afford to lose.
- This goes hand-in-hand with budgeting and keeping track of how much money you are gambling, so we highly advise that you stay realistic and grounded with the amount you are betting (otherwise you could get yourself into a seriously bad situation).
- Allow yourself a specific amount of time per week to gamble – know when to stop.
- Online gambling is an activity that many people do for fun, so much so that they can lose track of time and end up spending hours betting away their money.
- Make sure you allocate a certain amount of time to spend gambling, and never allow yourself to go over.
- Be disciplined, and this way you won’t be spending too long gambling.
- Understand that everyone loses from time to time.
- Losing in gambling is more common than winning – it’s a fact, and something that many people don’t really take into consideration.
- We understand how frustrating it feels when you lose money, but it’s important to understand that this is a completely normal aspect of online gambling, and something that just needs to be accepted.
- Taking this into account, don’t continue gambling over your allotted period of time to ‘chase your losses’ – yes, you may get lucky and win your money back, but if you don’t you are only going to end up being worse off in the long-run.
- Never borrow money to gamble with, unless you know you already have the funds to pay them back.
- It is extremely risky and dangerous to borrow more money than you can afford, especially when it comes to gambling.
- As we explained earlier, losing in gambling is a completely normal thing, and if you are playing with someone else’s money (that you can’t afford to pay back unless you win), this is a sure-fire way to disaster.
- Only gamble with your own money, it’s that
If you are new to the world of online casinos, or enjoy gambling but are worried you’re getting into bad habits, we hope our tips have given you some inspiration and guidance on how to gamble the right way.
However, if you feel you have already developed a problem with your gambling, every one of our online casinos has a self-exclusion program that you can easily access if you need to.
Good luck, and safe gambling!