Potentially the most well-known and glamorous casino game there is, Roulette is one of the most widely-played casino games worldwide.
With its iconic wheel, simple rules, and easily-navigated gameplay, Roulette is a consistently popular choice for players visiting our casinos – guaranteed to give hours of entertainment with its exciting concept and vivid variations, it will not disappoint!
History of Roulette
Similar to the majority of other casino games, the exact origins of Roulette are questionable. However, it is generally agreed that the Roulette wheel was invented in the 1600s by French Physicist Blaise Pascal.
Whilst its original purpose was not as a casino game (it was initially invented to be a perpetual motion machine), it soon filtered into casinos and became the mechanism for one of the most recognised games of all time.
Roulette steps and rules
Whilst Roulette is a hugely popular game amongst many avid online casino fans, we understand that not everyone will be an expert. If you haven’t investigated Roulette before but really want to give it a go, our casinos have all that you need to get started.
Read on to find out exactly how to play and the key steps you need to know for the best gaming experience possible!
- Roulette is formed of a spinning wheel with divisions numbered from 1 to 36 around the edge. The numbers are in random formation and in alternate red and black colours, and there is a single green division with the number 0.
- During play, a ball is rolled onto the spinning wheel by a croupier and will eventually land in one of the numbered divisions – players place bets before the ball is rolled for which number they think the ball will land.
- Different bets have differing odds and payouts when placed, and may be slightly different across all versions of Roulette. However, these are the general bets and associated payouts that are commonly used in our casinos:
- Red number – Evens
- Black number – Evens
- Even number – Evens
- Odd number – Evens
- High Bet – 19-36 – Evens
- Low Bet – 1-18 – Evens
- First Dozen – 1-12 – 2 to 1
- Middle Dozen – 13-24 – 2 to 1
- Last Dozen – 25-36 – 2 to 1
- Column Bet – Column of 12 numbers – 2 to 1
- Line Bet – Six numbers – 5 to 1
- Corner Bet – Four Numbers – 8 to 1
- Street Bet – Row of three numbers – 11 to 1
- Split Bet – Pair of numbers – 17 to 1
- Straight Up – Single number – 36 to 1
- It’s pretty obvious to see that the riskier and less likely the desired outcome, the greater the odds for the bet.
- Commonly, bets placed on six numbers or lower are known as ‘inside bets’, and bets placed on 12 numbers or higher are ‘outside bets’.
See? So straightforward that even a brand new player will pick it up in no time! One of the great things about Roulette, which makes it such a winner, is that no matter how much experience you have, all players have an equal chance.
That is, imagine if you are a total Roulette newbie and are playing against someone who plays every weekend – if you both place a bet with exactly the same odds (i.e. you place red and he places black), you both have a totally equal chance!
Skill is not at play here, making Roulette a firm favourite at our casinos for many players both old and new.
As mentioned, odds and bets may vary dependent on which version of Roulette you choose to play. Whilst the basic concept is still the same across the board, different variations will have slight alterations, which is what makes them all unique and fun to play!
Some of the most popular variations of Roulette at our casinos include:
- European Roulette – perhaps the most popular of all versions, it features the classic 1-36 numbers and one 0.
- American Roulette – almost identical to European Roulette, but with the added extra of 00 (‘double zero’) on the wheel.
- Roulette Royale – Exactly like European Roulette, but with a progressive jackpot to be won! In order to win the jackpot, the same number must be hit five times in a row – pretty tricky, but worth it when it happens for that huge jackpot!
Hopefully reading this has shown that, even if you’ve never played before, Roulette is easy to understand and offers the same chance as seasoned players! So have a browse through our casinos and get playing…